Thursday, June 20, 2013

Some of the Most Beautiful Things Are Hidden


                Monday, we woke up and Krissy came in with wide eyes an said, “Guys, I just found the biggest cockroach in our dresser,” then just walked out.  I thought it was the funniest, cutest thing ever and couldn’t help but laugh.

                When we arrived at the orphanage yesterday, we got straight to work and headed to the house for our manual work.  It was hot and sunny almost to the point of it being unbearable, but it didn’t matter.  None of the weather or the conditions were crossing my mind.  All I could think about was the finished product and what we were doing for the kids. We stripped the grass and dug the holes and poured the cement and there was that particular drive that kept pushing me forward knowing what the outcome would be. Thinking in my mind that the girls would have their own house to sleep in and not have to be all on that stage made me dig  little deeper or get one more bucket. Some say the journey is better than the outcome, but for this situation, it’s all of the above and everything in between.  

                The last few tuk tuk rides have been very scenic and interesting through my eyes. At one point, there was this truck full of men behind us and I smiled at them and they loved it. They would make faces at me and show me their muscles and I just laughed at them and they laughed at me and I thought it was really fun.  Being able to interact with strangers on the street and having a great experience stood out, because it’s not something that would happen very often on the streets of America.  There was also a boy on his bike while it was raining. He had taken the button down shirt off his back so he could put it on his head. It was one of those things that didn’t really make sense but it worked; he didn’t seem to be getting wet, and he was smiling the whole time.

                There is not one day at the orphanage that we do not have fun, learn something, or get something done. In the past few days, it has been all three. If we’re not out sweating and making house, we are in teaching kids colors and reading off sentences and if it’s not that we are playing games and having matches and smiling the whole time. The kids are just so full of love and humor and it could lighten anyone’s days. Yesterday, Niron, Katie, Lavine, and I were looking through books and saying “this you” ”this you” and Lavine pointed to a Barbie and said it was Katie. She responded then saying “Oh yes I’m pretty” which Lavine quickly said “No no.” All of us laughed and just kept doing the game because each and every one was funny. Lavine has amazing English and he and I have gotten close so we joke around and have fun. This morning I was gathering my belongings and grabbed my notebook, opened it, and it flipped to a random page somewhat in the mddle. On the top it said “I love you Gitte” but wasn’t very good hand writing, so then was a line and it again said “I love you Gitte from Lavine” in nearly perfect handwriting. It was the most amazing feeling I had ever felt. I just read it, got all arm and fuzzy inside, and just smiled.

                Lastly, something I think about more and more each day is how much I respect and aspire to be Roat. He is honestly the sweetest and nicest human being there ever was. Even if he slips up on the slightest thing, “sorry, sorry” and he does everything he is asked with a smile on his face. Roat is the kind of person that is talented in so many ways, and can do so many things, and is amazing at every single one of them. He may not know it now, but he is and will forever be the one I look up to. He is my mentor.

No comments:

Post a Comment