Thursday, June 27, 2013

Remembering Yesterday


Leaving the kids is probably going to be the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but just leaving Cambodia is going to be extremely tough. There are going to be so many things that I am going to miss dearly. On the tuk- tuk ride, there are so many sights that I see daily that won’t be on my normal everyday commute at home. There are revolving posters, a work out park, a golden dragon statue, construction sites, and one long brick wall. There’s something about each and every one of those land marks that I somehow manage to catch each ride or that have some kind of significance to me. It’s something about the whole ride that I’m going to miss so much. At the orphanage, besides the children, there are so many things I am going to miss that will not only break my heart but that will also be very hard to live without. Srey Neat kissing my face and giving me raspberries is something that I will always remember. Another thing I’m going to miss is the friendship and joking around with the guys at the orphanage. Although I have similar friendships with guys at home, there’s something different about it that makes it more special. Lastly, I’m going to miss the kids saying “See you tomorrow” everyday in Khmer and English and trying to get us to say it. Even if I haven’t become really close with some of the children, I am going to miss every one of them with all my heart. Also, the absence of the warm and humid weather, the food, and the smells are something that I’m going to wish was in America. I’m going to miss just being here. When the time comes and we have to leave, I may not be able to keep myself together, but the memories that have been made and the children’s smiles will certainly help me get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment